18 March 2015

Meet Katie


Today, we introduce you to our dear friend Katie. Katie was in our training group in Veles, and we became quick friends. We bonded over book discussions and топло вино. She is kind, smart, and is always thoughtfully celebrating others. Since moving to our sites, we haven't seen enough of each other. A trip to Skopje to visit her is in order, or, Katie, if you're reading this, come to Delcevo!

Meet the MAK 19s

Name

Katie

Where are you from?

New York

Site Name

Sopiste

Sector

TEFL

How did you react to getting assigned to Macedonia?

I was originally assigned to Sierra Leone, but due to a medical hold had to be re-assigned. I was offered a choice between Botswana and Macedonia. I chose Macedonia based solely on the program, I felt more qualified for the position there. Only after accepting the placement did I do more research. I was surprised that Peace Corps was still in the Balkans, and did not know much about the region or the country I was headed to. I was not headed where I expected to be, but found myself excited at the prospect of an entirely different adventure.

What were you doing prior to Peace Corps?

I started my Peace Corps application in my final year of undergrad at American University. The time between graduation and my departure was spent waitressing at a restaurant outside Washington D.C. I also volunteered as an adult ESL teacher, and worked as a summer camp counselor.

What is your living situation like?

I currently live in a homestay. I share the basement apartment with my baba (Macedonian for grandma). In the main home, upstairs, lives her son Igor, his wife, Sirma, and their five year old twins, Ana-Maria and Philip. I have been told that both homes are always open to me, though I spend the majority of my time downstairs. The kids are one of the best parts of my homestay, they are loving and brilliant, speaking significantly better English than I do Macedonian. Sirma and Igor have been warm and welcoming as well.

How big is your site? What is something that makes your site special or different?

My site Sopiste, it is a suburb of Skopje, the capitol city of Macedonia. It’s nestled in the mountain, and is a large, spread out municipality. It’s made up of several small villages, three of which I work in. It is a mixed population community, 20% of the population is ethnically Albanian, and the other 80% is ethnically Macedonian. It has become a popular site to build homes for those who work in Skopje, but want to raise families outside of the city. Due to this commuter mentality, I have had a hard time finding community in my community; everyone seems to socialize in the city and there are no cafes or restaurants where I live. It is convenient being so close to Skopje, but I am still adjusting and finding the balance between family life and city life.

What was one of the best moments or memories of your service?

The small moments have been some of the best. Making Christmas cookies with my host family was one of the first real bonding moments I had at site. It made me feel welcomed, and it showed the family was interested in my traditions. I am also leading a book club, and watching the students actively participate in the book discussion I designed was amazing. It was great to see students interested in something I also love. My boyfriend’s visit also has to be on the list; sharing this experience with someone from home made it feel more real. It has made discussing my highs and lows easier, because I now have someone who has witnessed me in this environment. It was great to get to share this part of my life with him.

What was one of the hardest days of your service?

I think my birthday or Christmas both rank pretty high on the, “well, this sucks,” list. This was my first time away from home for both days. I am very close to my family, and Christmas is my favorite holiday, I love the traditions that my parents and I have. It was hard to chat with them, and my family, and hear how much I was missed. My birthday was a similar phenomenon, my friends and host family here were wonderful. They made me feel loved and celebrated, but nonetheless, I felt very far away from home, and very disconnected. I’m happy the holiday season is over, and I only have to miss it once more.

What are some projects you're working on outside of your primary job?

Currently, most of my secondary projects are run through the American Corner in Skopje. I have worked with them on a drama club, a book club, and various holiday projects including a Valentine’s Day workshop and a Christmas Tree Decorating workshop. My favorite project is the book club. I work with students from the Competitive College Club, who are interested in attending college in the states. Each month they read an assigned book, and we discuss it in various formats. Last month we discussed the Great Gatsby through quotes, this month we’ll be having our own version of the Hunger Games. The students are engaged and willing to match my enthusiasm, which makes for a fun environment.

What do you do to fill your time when you aren't working?

I’m sure this will come as no surprise based on how much I just gushed about book club. I read. I read a lot. An abnormal amount, really. I’ve probably read close to 15 books this month. I’m also re-watching the Gilmore Girls. I just finished season three. I also spend time with my sitemates. At least once a week we meet in Skopje, and do dinner, or coffee. I’m hoping to spend more time outside as the weather gets nicer, but until then I’ve got plenty of reading to do.

Additional comments/thoughts about yourself and your service.

Peace Corps thus far has been a great opportunity for personal growth. I’m still struggling to find my place at work and in the home, but every day I get closer. Some days two years seems overwhelming. However, most days I know that I will need this time. I consider myself very lucky to be placed in Macedonia. We have an amazing staff here, and even more amazing volunteers. I could not ask for a better group of people to take this journey with.

You can read more about Katie's experiences on her blog, betterremembered.wordpress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog