24 September 2015

Redefining My Service

We left the United States a little over a year ago. I have been waiting for the right time to post and talk about work, looking for a success story or a little more clarity into why we are here. It has taken this entire year to understand that my Peace Corps service is open ended, undefined, and simply vague for a reason. As volunteers, we are only required to work 20 hours a week at our primary assignment. When becoming volunteers, we were relieved of many burdens that might affect productivity. Medical care is easily accessible and provided, along with a suitable living wage, housing, and support from staff. We are given so much free time and freed of anything that might inhibit us from being professional volunteers. A concept that I did not understand until recently.

Last winter, we finished training, arrived in community, laid low for the winter (as seemed to be the common practice), and then started our work assignments. In my school, I spent the next few months fighting against the established system to implicate practices I thought would make teaching look familiar and, from my opinion, more effective. I was unsuccessful. After a few months, I felt unaccomplished and like a burden to my counterpart. I felt further unfulfilled because 20 hours of obligations a week left me with ample free time compared to the life I had back home where I was trying to balance work, school, friends and family. I used my free time to watch more movies and TV shows then I had ever before, jokingly justifying it by telling myself I was “catching up on pop culture,” the American pop culture my students are so plugged into. I should have been filling that free time with community actions and other means of volunteerism.

Peace Corps equips us with language skills and trains us to learn the needs of our community with the idea that we will work with locals to improve the community in some way. We were greeted in Delcevo with open arms and grand ideas for change.  I simply said “Great! When can I start?” and then waited for some direction. I realize now I am the one to get things started. There are passionate and kind-hearted people here who will help, but they also have jobs, families, and other responsibilities. I, on the other hand, am a professional volunteer. I should be devoting my time. That is why I am here. I am also learning they don’t know where to start either. They are looking for direction just as I have been.

I started a new school year September 1st, and life is looking up. I am trading in the things that are relevant to me culturally, like timeliness and grades, for better relationships with students and teachers. It is paying off. I am less frustrated, and my counterpart and I have a better relationship. We are planning more because I am easier to work with; and therefore, we are trying some new things. One, being an attempt to read Harry Potter with the students. This has been challenging so far. It is hard to get the students interested in anything, and this may be too big of a commitment right now. If I can be a better teacher and get the students to buy into it, I think it will be very rewarding.

In this second year, I am taking responsibility for any lack of work I have, because as a professional volunteer, I need to create work for myself. Not all work has to be grandeur or socially significant. It just needs to be something that wouldn’t have existed without my help, like introducing some people to tacos, or getting a few students interested in hiking or environmental conservation. These are all things I love and are simple, but have the potential to build relationships and leave at least a small impression.

-Jarred

3 comments:

  1. Jarred I am glad to hear that you are figuring out ways to make the rest of your stay more pleasurable for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jarred and Andreya,
    I have read your entire set of blog entries and have gained valuable insights into the daily lives and reflections of two conscientious, searching, eager Peace Corps Volunteers. Your honest appraisal of your experiences have been helpful to me as I wait for the next step - a phone call requesting an interview - to becoming a Volunteer in Macedonia in what I guess will be called MAK 21.
    I come to the opportunity from the other end of the life spectrum. Whereas you have dedicated yourselves as young idealists hoping to bring some form of positive change and increased human understanding on which you can build the rest of your lives, this idealist hopes for the chance to find a sense of direction and purpose as one having lived a number of "eras" in my life filled with success, challenge, rewards, thrills and disappointments. Having married after college, raised children through their college periods and into their independent lives in far-off places, completed a very successful and satisfying 36-year career as an educator, suffered the trauma and pain of divorce, and experienced renewal of faith in relationships, I am hoping to give to others the benefits of my compassion, understandings and skills while, at the same time moving to another "era" of my life that will affirm my continuing desire to grow personally in ways and in a place where I can be productive and find another purpose and direction in which to set my compass. While decades of living (I am 67 years old) bring confidence and tools for coping and rising to meet the challenges you so clearly illustrate at early phase of your life journey, the same questions, insecurities, joys, reticence, momentum and idealism persist as we move to and through each additional phase of living. I've come to believe that to seek and jump at the opportunities of the times of our lives - if we are fortunate enough to maintain good health and genetic predisposition to longevity - is what makes us continually feel alive.
    I look forward to reading your continuing blog and wish you the joys and satisfaction of the successes you will experience and the optimism to endure what you describe as periods of questioning and disappointment, loneliness and uncertainty. You are already well ahead of most your age in developing the broader world view even as you come to know yourselves more thoroughly from within.
    With respect, appreciation and best wishes, Ted Eldridge
    eldridte@aol.com
    www.awalkthroughsavannah.bravehost.com

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog